Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, crafting expert and educator, is a paid consultant of Brother ScanNCut USA.
Looking for a unique way to present a gift for Dad this Father’s Day? We’ve got a great idea, which can be personalized to show off your creativity!
- Brother ScanNCut Machine
- Cutting Mat
- Wood Veneer with Adhesive (two different colors)
- Wooden Mini Briefcase
With just a couple of items you are on your way to make a great impression on Dad with this trick for creating wood inlay using your ScanNCut.
- Open https://scanncutcanvas.brother.com Pattern > Logo > Dad
- Adjust to ensure it will fit on to your briefcase
- Open borders and choose one then resize to fit into one of the letters (Zooming may help to see the small designs)
- Add more borders and shapes, as you like (To copy the shape, highlight and use the ‘Option’ key on a Mac or ‘D’ key on a PC)
- Make sure the shapes do not touch any other lines
- Once you have a finished design, highlight the whole thing and Group (Edit > Group)
- Download the design to add to your machine (either via WiFi or to a USB)
- Prepare your veneer by performing a test cut to ensure the cut is made through the wood, preferably not cutting into the adhesive backing (it makes an easier job of keeping the design aligned)
- Scan in the two different shades of veneer
- Position your design on each of the two colors, and cut both
- Carefully remove one color and lightly place on the briefcase and adjust to your liking – once it is where you like, press firmly to adhere
- Using your second color, inlay the designs made into the letters
- Repeat using the contrasting shades on the other side of the briefcase